I understand that energy consumption affects our natural environment and human health and well being. I pledge to make every effort to support Luther College’s commitment to energy conservation and to set a good example for the Luther College community.
I pledge that I will strive to:
* Read the College’s Dorm and Living Space Energy Conservation Tips (http://www.luther.edu/sustainability/energy/savings/dormtips/
) and/or the Workplace Energy Conservation Tips (http://www.luther.edu/sustainability/energy/savings/tips/
) and do my best to apply the practices outlined therein.
* Use lights only when necessary (while not jeopardizing safety).
* Turn lights out as I leave rooms empty or in empty rooms I pass, and encourage others to do the same.
* Switch to CFL bulbs when old light bulbs burn out.
* Close windows and doors to prevent the loss of air conditioning and heat.
* Avoid using heating and air conditioning whenever possible.
* Routinely shut off and unplug electrical devices when they are not in use in personal areas (not in common areas - these devices have been programmed to shut off after specific amounts of time)
* Turn off, hibernate or put to sleep computers when they are not in use in personal ares (not in common areas - computers have been programmed to shut off after specific amounts of time)
* Learn how to change the power settings on my computer to “energy saver”; see http://lis.luther.edu/sustainability/computers
for details. If you use Datatel, you might need to set your computer to specific power settings, see http://lis.luther.edu/blog/20090204/sustainability-energy-challenge
for more information.
* Limit the number of loads of laundry I do and use of the dryer.
* Take the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible.
* Use water (especially hot water) sparingly.
* Avoid driving personal vehicles whenever possible. Take advantage of Luther's transportation options such as Rideshare, U Car Share, Bike Share, and shuttle services, visit http://www.luther.edu/sustainability/transportation/
for more information.
* Communicate facility operations problems using FixIt.Luther.edu
(i.e., climate control problems, lighting problems, leaky faucets).
* Encourage my peers to take this pledge and follow these best practices.