Marie Brown Travel Award 2013-2014
This award fund is the result of a generous bequest from the will of Marie Brown, who was a member of the Office of Graduate Studies and Research from its foundation in 1964 until her retirement in October 1987. It is the intention of the Office of Graduate Studies to recognize outstanding work of PSU graduate degree students and to contribute to their professional development in their own fields by helping to fund their travel to distant sites for scholarly purposes.
Applicants must be students admitted to graduate degree programs at Portland State University and in good academic standing at the time the award is made. Travel can occur at any time during the year and in the summer from June 15, 2013, through September 15, 2014, including eligible travel that has already occurred at the time of the application (but not reimbursed or scheduled for reimbursement). The award funds can be applied to conference fees, lodging, food, and other necessary expenses as well as to travel fares. You are eligible to apply for travel to multiple events in one award cycle, but you MUST submit a separate application for each event. Due to limited funds, preference will be given to doctoral students.
Examples of Eligible Travel:
• Receipt of honors awarded to the student for scholarly work
• Invited individual student presentations at scholarly conferences
• Individual presentations at scholarly conferences accepted as the result of Requests For Proposals, including papers and poster sessions
• Multiple-student presentations at scholarly conferences accepted as the result of Requests For Proposals
• Presentations by eligible student(s) and faculty jointly at a scholarly event
Application and Award schedule:
• Awards will be made each term of the academic year (Fall 2012, Winter 2013, Spring 2013). No awards will
be made during Summer term.
• Applications must be received in the Office of Graduate Studies no later than 5:00 P.M. on the
-October 15, 2013, for Fall term
-January 14, 2014, for Winter term
-April 14, 2014, for Spring term
• Responses will be emailed to applicants approximately two weeks after the application deadline.
• Award funds will be mailed directly to recipients, at the address given on the application, within approximately two weeks of the award notification.
• Awards will be given in varying amounts, up to the maximum award per student of $400.00. The total disbursement in any term is variable, depending upon the amount available and the applications received.
• A student who receives less than $400 is eligible to apply for additional award funds in future terms, as long as the student remains in good academic standing in the graduate degree program.
• A student who has received $400 from this award program is not eligible to apply again, unless the student graduates with his/her graduate degree and is admitted for a different graduate degree program at PSU.
• The PSU Foundation, which manages and disburses these funds, requires a Social Security Number (SSN). Recipients will be required to provide their SSN if it is not already on file in the PSU Student Information System (Banner).
• Each recipient is required to submit to the Office of Graduate Studies a one-page report on the conference or event within thirty days of its completion and a copy of the event brochure/agenda.
• If, for any reason, recipients do not attend or participate in the function as described in the application, the award must be returned to the Office of Graduate Studies for future disbursement.
NOTE: You cannot save this document and return to it later.