About Urban Scholars' Academy
UDC's Urban Scholars' Academy is a skill-building program that helps incoming freshmen and transfer students prepare for the rigors of college academics. Through this program, new students will have the unique opportunity to sharpen their skills in mathematics and writing, develop a network of peers, and connect to campus resources—all before the start of the Fall 2012 term!
At the start of the program, students will be assessed in reading comprehension, English composition, and mathematics in order to identify strengths and areas for improvement. In addition, Faculty Mentors will help students identify their unique learning styles and develop strategies for goal setting, time management, and maintaining school-life balance. Students will then create individualized roadmaps for learning that they will work on over the summer.
Throughout the program, students will receive FREE support services, such as peer tutoring, professional academic advisement, and career planning services. In addition, students will have the opportunity to apply their critical thinking skills off-campus, through a variety of local field trips and optional co-curricular activities. In this collaborative learning environment, students will gain the tools needed to succeed in their first semester at UDC
The 2012 Urban Scholars’ Academy offers students the flexibility to meet program requirements on their own schedule. Students will be able to maintain simultaneous employment, fulfill personal and family commitments, and schedule in vacation time. In this way, Urban Scholars’ Academy is able to accommodate new students of all types—from first-time college students to adult learners to community college transfer students.
All program participants will be required to complete the following:
- Schedule and attend at least one in-person skills assessment with a Faculty Mentor
- Attend two Saturday sessions (9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, exact dates TBD)
- Complete recommended learning modules remotely, seeking on-campus tutoring as needed
- Schedule and attend one in-person academic planning session with an Academic Advisor
- RSVP for and attend one New Student Orientation program
Anticipated Program Start Date: Monday, June 25, 2012
Anticipated Program End Date: Friday, August 3, 2012
: Urban Scholars Academy is not a course and participation does not earn college credit.
Students are eligible for the Urban Scholars' Academy if they meet the following criteria:
- Have applied to a 4-year degree program at UDC for admission for the Fall 2012 semester
- All new Freshmen, Transfer and UDC-CC transitioning students are eligible
- Readmitted students may be eligible on a case by case basis
- Will be enrolled as a full-time student for the fall semester (at least 12 credits)
- Have submitted an Urban Scholars' Academy application online.
Please call 202-274-6899, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
with any questions!
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS.